Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Validation with a Flying V


When I was young, I liked my music and my technology new and cutting edge. But, like all things, as I grew older, I watched what was cutting edge become contemporary, and then contemporary become classic. Take Jimi Hendrix, for example. Here’s a picture of him playing guitar. When he started out, he was breaking new ground with his music. Then, he became main stream, and everyone wanted to be like Jimi. Nowadays, he’s on the Classic Rock and Oldies stations. Like the guitar he’s playing here. The Flying V was leap away from the classic guitar design. It was cutting edge, then became the norm for bands that wanted to project a cutting edge image. Now, like Jimi, the Flying V is a classic oldie.

And it makes perfect sense to me that my favorite SDLC (software development life cycle) methodology follows the same pattern. The V-model started as an innovative approach, breaking away from the norm of the traditional waterfall model. And, of course, it didn’t hurt that is easily associated with the coolest looking guitar the rock world has ever known (with the exception of Gene Simmons’ Axe, that is.)

As for why I like it so much, well, it’s all about the validation. I feel the V-model is the best methodology to support the typical validation approach. QA groups around the industry understand it, and like it. So do system designers, analysts and developers. And anytime a project manager can get both of those groups to agree, they’d be unwise not go along for the ride.


The idea is quite simple, create a matrix based mapping for each requirement, and trace the requirements through design, build and test in your documentation. My flying V methodology here outlines the traceability. The Unit Test will ensure the coded modules work according to the specifications. The OQ should reference the designed features and functions being tested, and ensure the system works as it was designed. And the PQ will ensure that the business requirements are correct and that the users can actually meet those requirements using the system.

Anyway, this has been my favorite methodology approach to validated systems over the past 10 years. Which for some reason is making me feel a little old today.

3 comments:

  1. Great job Jim, gotta love the Axe.
    GS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, Great analogy. I agree that your flying V methodology is the way to go for validated and non-validated systems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,

    Thanks for sharing your Flying V methodology. Very interesting yet useful.

    Henry Che

    ReplyDelete